Thursday, February 16, 2012

Toward the finish line

I've made a lot changes since I started this blog.  As a whole, I have been eating better but not as well as I could and should be eating.  When I think about my former eating habits, I am both ashamed and appalled.  Dinners consisted of chicken nuggets, hamburger helper, hot dogs, and was rarely a true home cooked meal.  Reading blogs and gathering information has helped TREMENDOUSLY at changing the way I feed my family as well as avoiding pseudo health foods. 

I am not striving for perfection, but there are some big changes I still need to make.  I won't call them goals because these are things I feel I must do. 

  1. Eliminate all high fructose corn syrup.  Yup, that means that if something has HFCS in it, then I don't buy it.  There is always an alternative, even if I have to make it myself.
  2. An extension of number one.....read food labels.  Too many ingredients?  Out.  Questionable ingredients?  Out.  I have been much better at reading labels nowadays but I am often swayed by "Natural" products (which can be just as processed as products without the label), and brand loyalty.  The second ingredient in my fave BBQ sauce was HFCS!!  I will not be swayed by 100% natural, organic, or think that just because I am at Whole Foods that the product must be healthy.  The truth is in the label. 
  3. Try a new meal and experiment with vegetables.  I am used to canned vegetables.  I do love broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and zucchini but I am used to canned peas, canned carrots, and canned green beans.  I love corn in any form.  It is going to be tough to program my tastes to like fresh veggies.  This is something I'm not used to, and I was raised on canned vegetables loaded with salt and margarine.  I had no idea what real vegetables even tasted like!
  4. Plan my meals.  I am still struggling with this one.  The main reason I turn to fast food and frozen pizza is because of lack of planning.  I know I should be writing a menu every week and then making a list.  I never end up doing it and that leads to me 'not having time to make dinner.'  I didn't have time because I didn't plan my meals!  Spending money on fast food is not only wasteful pocket wise, but it's also unhealthy.  It just doesn't make sense when I have perfectly good food at home.
  5. Eliminate food waste.  I love leftovers but sometimes I forget about them and they get thrown out.  This never happens with things like spaghetti, but those two leftover pork chops get thrown out all the time.    

I think all of these things are easy, simple changes.  These are just immediate diet changes.  I will get to the monetary changes I need to make later! 

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Crystal! These are great goals!I love fresh veggies pan seared in a bit of olive olive, garlic and salt. YUM! Soy sauce/Liguid Braggs is also something I like to use to pan sear veggies (especially cabbage)! We don't eat hydrogenation, aspartame, or HFCS. I also try to keep us away from many preservatives. Good luck making so many new things from scratch. Usually, things are not as hard to make from scratch as you initially think they will be and once you develop the habit, its a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete